Saturday, October 8, 2011

Occupy SLC

A chilly October evening, and I find myself in Pioneer Park, beneath a military pup tent.

I'm not a refugee from justice, no. I'm just trying to get some sleep among the anti-capitalists and marijuana smoke. And the occasional homeless person.

I live three hours away from the protest that is taking place here, but I came to Salt Lake for a few days to see my dear Rebecca, to meet an old friend at the airport as he returns home from a mission, and to attend Rebecca's graduation from her vocational school. In looking for a place to stay, nothing jumped out at me, so I decided I could join with the peaceful (almost too peaceful) demonstrations taking place in Salt Lake City, our state's rendition of the recent "Occupy Wall Street" movement.

Though I don't particularly agree with what these people are protesting, I see that they have a permit from the city to occupy the park, and I need a place to sleep for a week, so bringing a sleeping bag and some blankets with me from my hometown wasn't out of the question. That, and I picked up a military surplus pup tent from a local store, and I am in business. The business of listening to pot-heads next to me dispute The Bible, cuss out a man having a coughing fit, and otherwise carry on into the night, that is.

Tomorrow is Sunday, but I'll try to make an entry every day with my impression of the event here in Pioneer Park.

No comments: