Sunday, October 9, 2011

Occupy SLC, Part II

Though I didn't get much sleep last night, it being colder than I expected in the tent, I awoke, took a picture of the tent with the ambient light, and proceeded to pack up, still without talking to anyone.

I went about my day's activities, church, then a social event with some wonderful apple crisp, and at about ten o'clock, returned to the park with a plan.


The plan involves a Coleman space heater, fuel-powered, capable of heating a small tent such as mine.
Now, I'm not sure what the policy is here at the park concerning open flames, but I see a few homeless people up against brick buildings, and surmise that if open flames were allowed, at least one of these folks would have started one by now.
So I pitch my tent, and inside, light the open flame to start the space heater. The plan is that after burning an open flame for about ten minutes, the heater will be primed, and the heat-generating reaction will happen internally from then on out, to heat the tent without flames.
I light the first flame, and after five minutes, the flame burns out, but the heater didn't get primed enough. So I try again. This time, I prop open a hole in the top of the tent to let out exhaust gases, careful to keep it low-key. I have inadvertently set up my tent next to a Night Watch guard--an apathetic, portly fellow in his mid twenties wearing a yellow fluorescent vest.
On to light the flame for the second time. Burning for about ten minutes, I locate the heater to the place in the tent where it will continue to put out heat for another three after the flame burns out. (During this occasion, also, I hear the Night Watch man say something about a "situation" that he has. Fearing he's talking about me, I mentally prepare my talking points in favor of this saving flame of mine. No need, though; I am never approached.)
The third time will be the charm. I can't keep doing this, or this smoke emerging from the vent hole in the top of my tent will surely incriminate me! I light an even bigger flame than the previous two, with the tops of the flame almost licking the inside of the small tent. I set my phone's stopwatch and commence blogging.
And the flame did it! I am now looking at a faint orange glow in the element of the heater, and soon, the tent will be nice and toasty warm. Hearing traces of a conversation outside the tent, the phrases "the United States of Wal-Mart" and "BP" jump out at me.
I secretly hope for a light snowfall, so my tent will stand out as the only one with a melted radius around it, just to make these crazies a little envious.

1 comment:

Adam said...

An ally of liberty camped behind enemy lines. I love it.